I don’t know about you, but I love a homemade gift! I especially love funny and inspirational quotes. A few years ago, for Christmas, I made most of my family a mug. I searched Pinterest for images that reminded me of each person, and I drew those things on the mug.
Here’s an image of some of the mugs I designed. You’ll see the one I made for my dad on the bottom left. It says “Ask me about my Dad jokes”, and I wrote some silly Dad jokes all over the back.
Mugs are great, but so are signs, and even filling a jar with quality time ideas would make a great gift.
Father’s Day Shout Out
Now, I can’t make a Father’s day post without saying some great things about the dads in my life.
First, you have my Dad. He can give Google, Alexa, and Siri all a run for their money. Seriously, this man is a genius. He’s also a man of great faith which he imparted to my sisters and I. He has a great sense of humor and he has the best laugh. He’s always ready to lend a helping hand. You’re stranded? He’ll come to your rescue. You’re having car trouble? He’ll take a look. My nerdy side comes from him, he loves a good Sci-Fi show.
Next, there’s my Father-in-law. He is also super smart, well-read, and very wise. Like Yoda or something. He is very noble and will offer his counseling services free of charge. He is very helpful and thoughtful and generous. He has a gift for affirmation, he loves to shower others with his kind words.
Okay, back to the gift ideas. When I’m making a DIY project, I usually jump on Pinterest for some inspiration. You could go the sentimental route, or silly route. You can rest assured that your dad is going to love it. Here are some cute ideas I found online:
One of the great things about this project is, it’s budget friendly! The mug only costs a dollar, and the markers were more pricey but can be used for future projects. Here’s what I used:
- White mug from Dollar Tree
- Sharpie markers like these.
The thing I love most about this DIY, is it’s so simple! You just draw your design, and bake your mug in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Baking it will ensure that the design won’t rub off when you wash it. (It’s always better to hand wash these cups, by the way.)
For this project, you will need:
- $1 Canvas from Dollar Tree
- Medium of your choice. I like chalkboard paint and a chalkboard pen, but whatever you have on hand will be fine.
Decide on what image, photo, or design you want on your canvas. Paint, draw or color it. Voila, you are done.
Quality Time Jar
You will need:
- $1 bag of Popsicle sticks from Dollar Tree
- $1 jar from Dollar Tree
- Decorative ribbon
Sit down with your kids and brainstorm ideas for ways they want to spend quality time with their Dad, like ride bikes, fly kites, or go fishing. Write one idea on each Popsicle stick, place inside the jar, write “Quality Time Jar” or whatever you prefer, and decorate it with a ribbon or whatever you have on hand.
Just For Fun
I love dad jokes, they are so wonderfully bad. Here are some of my favorite dad jokes:
- Today, my son asked “Can I have a book mark?” and I burst into tears. 11 years old and he still doesn’t know my name is Brian.
- How do you make holy water? You boil the hell out of it.
- If a child refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?
- What do you call someone with no body and no nose? Nobody knows.
- I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I’ll let you know .
- What is the least spoken language in the world? Sign language .
- My daughter screeched, “Daaaaaad, you haven’t listened to one word I’ve said, have you!?” What a strange way to start a conversation with me…
- Dad, I’m hungry. Hi hungry, I’m Dad.
- My wife tried to unlatch our daughter’s car seat with one hand and said, “How do one armed mothers do it?” Without missing a beat I replied, “Single handedly.”
- The fattest knight at King Arthur’s round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
- Did you hear the news? FedEx and UPS are merging. They’re going to go by the name Fed-Up from now on.
- Don’t trust atoms. They make up everything!
- What do you call a dog that can do magic? A Labracadabrador.
- GRANDPA: I have a ‘dad bod’, DAD: To me it’s more like a father figure.
- Did you hear about the restaurant on the moon? Great food, no atmosphere.
- Want to hear a joke about paper? Nevermind it’s tearable.
- Dad, can you put my shoes on? No, I don’t think they’ll fit me.
- Why did the scarecrow win an award? Because he was outstanding in his field.
- I’ll call you later. Don’t call me later, call me Dad.
- Want to hear a joke about construction? I’m still working on it.
- I wouldn’t buy anything with velcro. It’s a total rip-off.
- What do you call a man with a rubber toe? Roberto.
- What did the buffalo say to his son when he left? Bison.
- I’ve never gone to a gun range before. I decided to give it a shot!